Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Clapping Shrimp

Many of you know that I love baked goods. I've been trying a few bakeries around where I live and also in KFQ. I have found a few that I would definitely go to. BreadTalk for their very famous Chinese dry shredded pork buns. KEI bakery for their red bean filled donuts and Mexican buns. Donuts is very hard to come by here. Heisei bakery translates to black bakery for their delicious Chinese birthday cakes and Portuguese egg tarts. I find many of the other bakeries serve very dry and/ oily pastries.

I love grocery shopping. hahaha... NOT but I am starting to cook more often now =) I finally found teriyaki sauce at one of my most favourite import store, "Deli Harbour"!!! I do not drink a lot of milk in China unless it's in my coffee, tea or with cereal. I don't like the taste at all... However, I know I need to have calcium so I have been eating and drinking a lot of yogurt. Drinking??? The yogurt here is like YOP at home. I bought the small containers of yogurt so when I'm walking to school, I can drink it with a straw. Buying toilet paper takes me quite awhile because I need toilet papers' with a roll/hole in the center so it fits in my toilet paper holder at home but the paper must be soft enough. Some of the toilet papers here are quite weak and rough. That just won't do it.

The name of my post for today is "Clapping Shrimp" because I went to a Korean restaurant for dinner tonight and they always provide some side dishes to eat before the meal. There was a side dish with cooked tiny shrimps with the shells still on. I like seafood so I tried it. Morgan was petrified. I ate a few, it was yummy but chewy. The last one I ate had the antennas and two small claws that looked like mini lobster claws still attached. I wasn't going to eat it but I did!!! I haven't had anything too crazy in China yet. One step at a time...

1 comment:

  1. Just remember not to order Bo Shin Tang 보신탕 (dog meat soup) at a Korean restaurant in China unless you really want to try it. Ethnic Koreans who live in China are far more likely to eat some dishes that South Koreans no longer eat. Dog meat is actually very hard to come by in South Korea (young Koreans are repulsed at the idea of eating it) but there are many Koreans in your area of China and many have been there a few generations (or are North Korean refugees) and apparently it's much more common there. Just a heads up :)

    ReplyDelete