Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mid-Autumn Festival

Yesterday was the Mid-Autumn Day, also known as the Moon Festival. It is celebrated on the 15th day of the eighth month in the Chinese calendar. Usually families get together for dinner and eat moon cakes together. There are MANY different kinds moon cakes here. I asked my boys which kind would they recommend for me, some like the variety one (with everything in it, one said there are spiders in it too, he was trying to scare me), red bean, egg yolk, sesame, and five kinds of nuts. My friends and I went for hot pot because it already feels like November in Vancouver for dinner. Most students did not get to celebrate it with their families because they live on campus and home is too far and we have vacation time all of next week. Therefore, on the girls campus, we lit lanterns. It was a unique experience. The girls lit the lanterns, then they have to wait, the girls will let go, and then it will float in the air with all the other lanterns. It was very beautiful! Next year, I am going to go to the beach to see hundreds of them lit up at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment